Thursday, September 24, 2015

A eulogy for my grandma Billie

"My grandmother was the matriarch of a big family. I think as we all grieve, we grieve as a family. But yet as the news hit me, I realized MY grandma left. My grandma Billie was a woman of greatness. She stood head and shoulders above everyone around her. She did this by standing head and shoulders below everyone around her. Whenever I came in the room she would light up and call my name. She was always interested in seeing me. I didn't get to see her as often as the others, as we grew up in Louisville. I once heard a gospel song about a woman who gave her testimony and how at her lowest point she declared "But I had a prayin' grand mother!!" That's what I had. Grandma made a point that I needed to go to church and that she was praying for me to find one. In a few months my best friend had me going to his church. Looking back I am amazed at the power of the seeds she planted in my life. As a youngster, I was a great fan of science and consequently believed in evolution. She rebuked me saying "Well, I am not related to no monkey!" here I am 25 years later teaching people that true science agrees with the Bible. I remember her teaching me that in heaven there is a judgement of rewards separate from our judgement on the great white throne. Despite undergraduate and graduate level education against this, I know grandma got it right again. I remember we were at a vacation bible school and she was teaching us. We saw a giant horsefly, grandma told us that it was the devil trying to distract us from the lesson. Interestingly enough "Beelzebub" literally translates as "lord of the flies". If grandma Billie were here she would sternly reminds us that her remains will be literally resurrected. I can tell you that her faith is my faith. The other day my father told me that his theory is that people believe what they want to believe. After studying science and philosophy and theology for over 15 years I think that sounds about right. I want to believe in Jesus. I want to believe in the Lord who changed my life and the life of my family. Now I am completely convinced and will debate any PH.D on this planet for the truth. But as I get older I am finding more value in our want for the truth, than the fact of the truth. Do we want to serve our Lord? Do we want to trust our Lord? Do we seek the Holy Spirit? Do we want to humble ourselves? The answers are simple and not complicated. But simple things can be tough. My grandmother was a tough woman. It was the love and humility given to her from her Lord that made her so. I just pray that we will seek the Lord as well. Since she is gone there is an awful lot of work to be done. I thank My Lord Jesus Christ for using my grandma."

1 comment: